Nowadays, anyone who is willing to lose weight can simply Google, and Google would come up with many results, tips, and solutions to lose weight, starting from diets, exercise, wraps, detox water, etc. While you research weight loss, You probably came to know about a familiar term to all, which is calorie deficit.
Is Extreme Calorie Deficit Healthy?
A calorie deficit is burning more calories than the calories you consumed. You follow a calorie deficit regime if you burn more calories (through physical exercises, aerobic and strength workouts, or any other activities) than the calories you consume (via eating or drinking).
Some articles suggest that with a calorie deficit of 1000 calories a day, you can lose 1 kg per week. In other words, suppose you need 2000 calories per day to maintain your current weight. If you daily consume 500 calories less (that is, you consume only 1500 calories) and also burn more 500 calories through exercise, you will lose 1kg each week.
But that regime is healthy for your body? It is tempting to obese person, trying hard to lose weight, to follow this extreme regime. However, I will never suggest following such regime.
Weight loss is not mathematics where you need to make calculations. You need to understand your own body and accept it. Then only then you can achieve your goals. Our body does not understand any scientific terms like calorie deficit, and even if you lose weight doing such calorie calculations, you won’t be able to keep it off.
Instead, it might make you lose hair, get dark circles, pigmentation, dull and saggy skin, muscle loss, weakness, depression, and many more side effects. Keep in mind that you are trying to lose weight to keep your body fit and healthy. You would like to be a lifetime, so it’s a lifetime commitment. Therefore, you should choose the way to lose and maintain weight which you can follow for a lifetime.
Practical Tips To Lose Weight
Let’s see some other, simple and practical tips which you may try for weight loss.
Workout tips for Weight Loss
- Do some physical activity which can be anything you like. To start with, you may go for a walk, do some yoga or try moving and stretching yourself.
- There is no need to burn those 500 calories deficit through exercise. I have seen people running on a treadmill holding on to its sides just because they have to burn 500 calories. Don’t punish yourself. Instead, love the activity you do, love your body and let it respond to you.
Eating tips to Lose Weight
- You should eat everything but moderately. Now you may think I am asking you to eat junk which is a big NO. Eat something that is grown locally and is available in the season. No point in eating imported fruits, nuts, and chocolates as they are of no use.
- Avoid packaged and processed foods. Try to prepare everything fresh at home and if not possible, cook something at night which you could have the next day.
- It is good not to have heavy meals at one. Like before, you have your main lunch. have veg salad 20 mins before that and if you wish to have curd as it is a great probiotic, have it half an hour post-lunch. In short, have quick meals throughout the day rather than the large concentrated ones.
- Most important of all, get rid of that sweet tooth. If you really can’t help yourself, try to limit it as little as possible, maybe just one or two-bite, and tell yourself that I am satisfied.
- Avoid too much caffeine in a day; you could instead try different options like coconut water, lemon water, orange-infused water, or some other as per your taste.
- Try to finish off your dinner by 8 pm and if it is not possible, make it light and sleep at least 2 hours after dinner. As during sleep, our metabolism slows down, so does our physical activity; it is difficult for our body to digest the food, so it’s always better to give it some time before sleep.
- Have a glass of lukewarm water as soon as you get up. It will help to boost your metabolism.
- Within 30 minutes of waking up, have fruit and make sure it is seasonal and local.
The last important tip, Once you wake up in the morning, give a big hug to yourself and assure yourself that you will never ill-treat yourself just because you are obese.
Keep going and look beautiful.